Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Genius Files: Mission Unstoppable by Dan Gutman

Jennifer and I have a 4+5ER Bookclub this evening using this book. Since I have TGF on my mind, I thought I would post about it. I am looking forward to using this title this evening, as I believe it will really appeal to our participants. It was a fun read, with lots of action and adventure and a few surprises along the way. The story begins with us meeting soon-to-be 13 year old twins Coke and Pepsi McDonald and they are in grave danger. We are taken on an exciting ride to follow Coke and Pepsi all across the country on their family road trip to visit unusual attractions.

I guess the thing I like most about this book is the travel and nostalgia. Who doesn't have a memory of a time when you were packed into the car to visit a special place? Gutman brings us to all sorts of locations in this book like The Spam Museum, The National Yo Yo Museum, The Singing Sands Park and he talks of Frisbees and Pez dispensers along the way. There is an interactive piece to this book where the author encourages readers to use Google Maps to look up locations along the way and map them. I am curious to see if any of our bookclub readers did this part and what they thought of this aspect of the book.
 
If you are looking for a bookclub book that has action and adventure and would recommend this series. Here is the Harper Collins book trailer to help hook your readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment