Wednesday, April 17, 2013

We Read: Miss Moore Thought Otherwise

About the Book: Anne Carroll Moore changed the children's library forever - by making it for children and about children. Miss Moore created the first children’s room at the New York Public Library, a bright, warm room filled with artwork, window seats, and borrowing privileges to the world’s best children’s books in many different languages! Her revolutionary ideas stemmed from her childhood and paved the way for many libraries today!

Jennifer's Thoughts: I first saw this book reviewed in PW - it caught my interest, so I put it on hold. I loved learning about Miss Moore. To be honest, I hadn't given much thought to the idea of how children's libraries came to be. Even though I'm not a children's librarian, I felt a sense of pride after reading this book. Miss Moore wanted what's best for her kids and so do I. I don't think I'll ever be remembered as changing anything in the library world, but I love reading about those who did! This book warmed my heart.


Kimberly's Thoughts: As a Children's Librarian, I may be the true target audience for this book, but I found the  folk-art style illustrations to be lovely and I couldn't get enough of this story. As a true "mover and shaker", Miss Moore was a pioneer! She thought outside of the box and made some everlasting changes that we enjoy today. I think the message is a wonderful one for children and I can't wait to share with some school groups soon! I couldn't help but be moved by this book and be filled with pride about being a CHILDREN'S librarian! Thank you Miss Moore for "thinking otherwise"! 


No comments:

Post a Comment