Thursday, April 18, 2013

I LOVE YA Librarians



It’s National Librarian Week and National Teen Literature Day ! I talked at the HUB earlier this month about a book that changed the direction of my life. While I think books are important and can change lives, I think Librarians who guide readers to the right book at the right time are fabulous! I love talking with everyone about books, but I really love talking to other YA Librarians. 

I love hearing their stories: talking with their teens, talking about books, or a great program idea. The great thing about librarians is we like to share. We don’t mind sharing ideas, booklists, or display topics. With social media, it’s easy to connect via facebook or twitter, but there’s still something about meeting face to face – which is why I enjoy our monthly roundtable meetings.

It’s where we share ideas, joys, and frustrations. It’s nice to know what works at a different library. It’s great to take an idea and tweak it to match your own patrons. Due to poorly timed snowstorms, we didn’t meet for much of the winter. I missed that connection. While we do have a blog to keep in touch between meeting times, it’s just not the same. There's so many more sparks of creativity in our meetings.

I’m so grateful to each and every librarian who has helped shaped my ideas of librarianship, helped me discover a new author, or told me an awesome program idea.   
Thank you for all your inspiring work and Happy Teen Literature Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment