Friday, April 4, 2014

Novels in Verse: a few favorites



Happy National Poetry Month! 

2006 Poster

As a young YA Librarian, I remember thinking I wouldn't like novels in verse. The concept seemed strange to me. I wasn't big on poetry. I loved Shel Silverstein as a kid, but English classes took the joy out of poetry. So I wasn't sure what to expect, but I didn't expect to love it.
 
What My Mother Doesn't Know
 What My Mother Doesn't Know - this book opened me up to a new genre of books. 

From here, I read more of her books. 
What My Girlfriend Doesn't KnowOne of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother DiesTo Be Perfectly Honest: A Novel Based on an Untrue Story

Then I moved on to Lisa Schroeder's amazing books. 
 I Heart You, You Haunt MeChasing BrooklynFar from YouThe Day Before

I read some darker books
Crank (Crank Series #1)Sold 

I've read some other novels in verse too, but these have all stuck in my mind. I love the format. I love how perfect they are for reluctant readers. I've given these books out so many times over the years.

Do you have a favorite novel in verse?

No comments:

Post a Comment